Saturday, November 11, 2006

What am I doing with my life?

I don't know. But I can tell you what I'm doing in the mean time. I've been taking improv comedy classes at a little comedy club in Santa Monica called Westside Eclectic and working there as an intern so I can take the classes for free (sweet deal). I started class about a month ago after I went to see a show there because my friend Vanessa Irwin takes classes there and is a night manager Friday nights. I was sitting there watching four or five improv groups perform (some good, some not so good, and some pretty awesome) and I thought to myself "Joe, you could this. You should do this. Why don't you do it? You'll like it. Okay, I'm doing it." And I proved myself right. So far I've had four lessons in the level 1 class, and 2 more to go before I graduate to level 2. It's definitely fun, but definitely a learning experience and definitely not as easy as it looks. Every class I leave thinking about 15 more ways I could improve my game. I enjoy learning a new skill and someday hope to make it onto one of the Westside house improv teams and perform in front of real people like you. But before that I gotta get through a couple more classes. But yeah, it's fun and exciting and new and scary and good all at the same time.

What else am I doing, you ask. Okay, maybe you didn't ask, but I'm gonna tell you anyways. I talk about things on a semi-bi-weekly podcast on Fringeblog, the blog baby of my roomate Jeremiah Lewis. Soon Fringecast.net will up and running, but until then go to the blog and listen to it there. What is the fringecast? It has been described by some as "Seinfeld for the radio" and "crazy." We talk about anything and everything and stuff in between. The key players are myself, Jeremiah Lewis, and Tim Fescoe, another roomate. Every now and then we have guest hosts either come in to the "studio" (our living room) or through online interviews. Doing the show is smashing fun, because it's randomness at its purest. Hopefully someday we'll be famous and awesome, but right now we'll settle for just being awesome. We got business cards made with our pictures on it. We had a photo shoot with our friend Lane, and she took some awesome shots of us being us. I kind of felt semi cool doing the photo shoot because, well, they're fun to do. Also, someday we're gonna have fringecast t-shirts and bobble heads and trading cards and the like. So until you can get your very own Joe bobble head, please listen to the Fringecast and just imagine my head bobbing up and down with awesomeness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home